WEFC Conversation Report
Approximately 50 people attended the WEFC Conversation regarding the upcoming transition from an executive board to elders and deacons. The goal of the conversation was to cover the documents enclosed in the information packet and to discuss in more detail Article 3 of the new draft Bylaws, Board of Elders.
The information packet included the following material:
- An Overview of the Purpose and Process for the Constitution and Bylaws Revision
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) regarding the proposed changes
- An initial draft of the Constitution and Bylaws
- A Flow Chart that reflects the proposed changes
- A Chart of Responsibilities comparing what is current to what is proposed
Here are some of the highlights of the presentation and discussion.
1. The committee gave an initial overview of the information packet and went over the contents.
2. It was clarified that the move to elders does not mean we are moving away from a congregational form of government. In order to be part of the EFCA, we must maintain a congregational form of government.
3. The goal for moving to elders and deacons is three-fold.
- Integrity - we want to develop governing documents that are consistent with Scripture and coherent with the way we operate as a caring church.
- Agility - we want to develop governing documents that allow for ministry to grow and expand without the need to continually update those documents. We want our documents to set out broad parameters for ministry, providing flexibility on details that often adapt over time.
- Ministry - we want to develop governing documents that do not limit ministry, but instead empower our leaders to lead in equipping the saints for the work of ministry.
4. A clear process and time line was laid out to accomplish the transition
- Complete and distribute initial draft: February 2, 2020
- WEFC Conversation: Elders – February 9, 2020, 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- WEFC Conversation: Deacons – March 8, 2020, 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- Goal: Congregation Vote to Pursue Revision of Constitution and Bylaws – April 2020
- Goal: Ongoing Congregational Discussion – May to September, 2020
- Goal: Official Vote of Final Draft by October 2020
5. The major changes to the constitution and bylaws are also three-fold.
- Governance Structure - We are moving from and Executive Board to an Elder Board.
- Shepherding Structure - We are establishing Elders and Deacons to better care for the spiritual and physical needs of the church family.
- Doctrinal Statement – We will be officially adopting the doctrinal statement of the EFCA.
Overall, the spirit of the conversation was very good. Good comments, questions and recommendations were made and noted by committee to process. We are well positioned to make this transition in the near future.
The next WEFC Conversation will be on Sunday, March 8 from 6:00-7:30 pm. This conversation will focus on Article 5 - Deacons.
Any member of the Bylaws committee or the Executive Board would be happy to entertain any questions or concerns you might have. Also, an email account has been set up if you would like to ask a question, make a recommendation or express a concern. You can send your email to and we will be sure to respond to your inquiry.
Thank you for engaging with and supporting us in this important process in the life of our church.