8 Habits to Try
On Easter Sunday we will begin a 50-day journey called 50 Days of Spiritual Growth. During these eight weeks, we will be using the book The Common Rule to introduce us to a series of habits that form our heart towards loving God and loving others.
Perhaps 8 habits seem overwhelming to you.
Perhaps 8 habits sound like nothing more than a list of rules to keep.
Perhaps 8 habits makes you feel defeated before you even get started.
I get that! But I would like to encourage to consider a few things.
We all have habits (good and bad) and these habits shape our lives.
These habits will challenge you, but they are also designed for the “common” person.
It is not about keeping rules. It is more about developing healthy spiritual rhythms of life.
Here are the 8 habits we will put into practice during this time.
- Kneeling Prayer at the beginning and end of your day
- Have one meal with others
- Turn your phone off for one hour
- Before you turn your phone back on, read Scripture
- One-hour meaningful conversation with a friend
- Curate your media to four hours a week
- Fast from something for 24 hours
- Take a 24-hour Sabbath rest
Each of these habits have a guiding principle behind them. For example, to begin and end your day with kneeling prayer is a way to frame your day in God’s love. Or, turning your phone off for an hour helps remove a distraction and helps you be fully present to others. Or, fasting for 24 hours teaches you how to depend on God and practice self-control.
Each Sunday, we will highlight one of these 8 habits.
What are we asking you to do?
- Get the book and read it.
- Get in community and do it with someone else.
During this time, I will host two workshops to talk about working out these habits.
~ Thursday Night, April 15, 7:00 pm – The Four Daily Habits
~ Thursday Night, May 13, 7:00 pm – The Four Weekly Habits
- Give it a try!